Reports to: Development & Communications Manager
Type of position: Full time, 40 hours
Compensation: $46,020. Excellent benefits including health, vision, and dental insurance
Mission & Purpose:
Based in the Mid-Hudson Valley of New York, Nobody Leaves Mid-Hudson (NLMH) builds power for social justice through mass organizing rooted in the needs of working people and people of color. NLMH uses voter engagement, direct action, and advocacy to win concrete victories and achieve policy change.
NLMH is one of New York State’s fastest growing electoral and community-based organizations, and is in a swing region for determining the overall balance of power in New York State.
- Organize students across local colleges as a part of our issue and electoral campaigns.
- Coordinate and facilitate events on college campuses.
- Lead our intern program, including recruiting, training, scheduling, and supervising students.
- Build and maintain relationships with student groups, faculty, and administrators.
- Play a major role in our grassroots fundraising program by recruiting and managing volunteers.
- Participate in a range of work as needed, including but not limited to voter registration, door-knocking, and phone-banking.
- Develop project plans to meet daily, weekly, monthly internal goals.
- Continuously update and maintain data.
- Meet with supervisor on a regular basis.
Experiences & Skill Requirements:
- 1+ years of organizing experience (paid or volunteer)
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail, self-starter, and self-managed.
- Good time management skills and ability to prioritize competing demands.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and some weekends
- Demonstrated commitment to grassroots organizing.
- Experience in planning and facilitating meetings.
- Strong relational skills
- Comfort being at the front of the room and as a public speaker.
- Ability to give and receive feedback and contribute to an anti-oppressive organizational culture that aims for support and accountability.
- Consistency in bringing a problem-solving orientation and creativity to shifting challenges and responsibilities.
- Commitment to leaning into discomfort and seeing/using challenges as opportunities for growth.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to use common word processing programs and familiarity using databases.
- Driver’s license and reliable access to a car.
- Experience with student organizing is a plus.
- Experience with voter engagement is a plus.
- Experience with grassroots fundraising is a plus.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references with emails and phone numbers to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Student Organizer” in the subject line.
People of color, gender-oppressed people, working-class people, LGBTQ people, immigrants, and all others directly impacted by oppression are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We sincerely regret that we will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.