Our interns play critical roles in making Nobody Leaves Mid-Hudson’s work possible. They do everything from everyday office work to social media management to moving dozens of their peers to action and raising thousands of dollars. Given their importance, we are looking for people who are passionate about social justice and the work of building the power we need to create a world where people and planet come before profit. We don’t expect that they know everything about what that entails, but we do expect them to have the drive to learn, take initiative, and be flexible. The work that our interns do is not always the most exciting but every task they do, from data entry to research, grows our capacity as an organization. Our internship program provides an opportunity to learn about the inner-workings of grassroots organizations, to develop practical skills through hands-on work, and to contribute to and be a part of movements for immigration and utility justice.
We have areas of work that each intern will focus on, but interns will participate in work outside of those areas in their time with us. As such, there’s no need to be a perfect fit for one position. Those areas are:
Description: The Administrative Intern(s) will take on a variety of day-to-day tasks to ensure the office functions smoothly and that the rest of staff has the support they need to work well.
- Assisting with scanning, copying, and post office runs
- Data entry and filing projects
- Help manage our member and donor databases
- General office upkeep and assistance
- Exceptional attention to detail — this is essential!
- Strong computer skills
Description: The Communications and Research Intern(s) will support NLMH through critical research and the development of its social media presence and following.
- Graphic design for social media, flyers, and/or posters
- Website maintenance
- Develop exciting social media content for Twitter and Instagram
- Grow our following across social media platforms
- Research as necessary
- Creative person with strong written communications skills
- Detail oriented self-starter willing to take initiative
- Preferably experienced with basic video editing, social media management, and bilingual in Spanish/English
Description: Our Grassroots Fundraising Interns will help execute our grassroots fundraising activities, primarily our Summer or Winter drives, by recruiting volunteer Fundraising Team members and managing them through the drive.
- Weekly team meetings
Identify and recruit potential Fundraising Team members
- Assisting with trainings
- Managing Fundraising Team members through the drive
- Executing own fundraising
- (if not managing a drive, an intern may work on donor cultivation through making phone calls, writing letters, and maintaining our donor database)
- Experience or interest in grassroots fundraising
- Ability to manage time and many moving parts; detail-oriented and organized
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in Google Suites
Description: Our Language Justice Intern(s) will work to develop NLMH as a fully-functional bilingual Spanish/English organization
- Translation – helping translate materials from agendas/meeting documents to social media posts
- Research – best practices for bilingual organizations, interpretation equipment, etc.
- Filling bilingual roles at events/actions
- Fluent/proficient in Spanish and English with strong writing skills
- Flexibility to take on work at different hours, if needed
Description: The Volunteer Outreach Intern(s) will grow NLMH’s volunteer network through strategic outreach at community events and nearby colleges.
- Organize activities such as tabling and class presentations to recruit volunteers
- Develop and distribute outreach materials
- Engage potential volunteers through one-on-one conversations
- Identify possible opportunities for school-funded events/trainings
- Organize volunteers to provide transportation, childcare, interpretation, and/or general support for upcoming NLMH events
- General Program support
- Confident speaker
- Personable & able to build relationships
- Organized and detail oriented
- Ability to manage many moving parts in a systematic way
Preferably proficient in Spanish
Expectations across areas of work:
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a variety of tasks
- Possesses the drive to learn new skills, the initiative to take on challenges, and the resourcefulness to address obstacles head on
- Ability to give and receive criticism and contribute to an anti-oppressive organizational culture that aims for both support and accountability
- Readiness to work outside of regular hours on occasion
- An active interest in social justice, grassroots movements, and/or immigration justice
- Commitment to Nobody Leaves Mid-Hudson’s mission and program
- Volunteer, unpaid commitment, of 4+ hours per week though we are often able to secure academic credit for internships
- Our internships are primarily based in Poughkeepsie, but we also accommodate remote internships, primarily in Communications and Research, Grassroots Fundraising, Language Justice, and Volunteer Outreach
- The more hours you can commit per week, or over time, the more in-depth your work will be!
How to apply: