Location: The position will be based in the Hudson Valley (Dutchess, Orange, or Ulster county), or can be based in New York City or elsewhere if the applicant is willing to travel to the Hudson Valley 1-2 times a week.
Reports to: Organizing Director
Type of position: Full time, 40 hours
Compensation: $52,000 or more depending on experience. Excellent benefits including health, vision, and dental insurance.
Mission & Purpose:
Nobody Leaves Mid-Hudson builds the power of the multiracial working class, through elections and issue campaigns, to win a society that works for all of us instead of just the greedy few. We are one of the fastest growing grassroots organizations in New York State.
We’re hiring a Distributed Organizer to recruit, train, and support volunteers in areas without a geographically based organizer. The ideal candidate is first and foremost a strong organizer, able to recruit volunteers, build meaningful relationships, facilitate engaging trainings, and develop leaders. We are looking for someone excited and able to learn and manage new digital organizing tools to mobilize volunteers across race, age, and class.
- Recruit and build strong organizing relationships with out-of-town volunteers, including through frequent calls, texts, emails, 1-1s, and meeting facilitation
- Create agendas, how-to guides, and quizzes to train volunteers at different levels of leadership
- Manage our textbanking and deep canvassing team by recruiting and supporting leads, drafting compelling and interactive scripts for issues and elections, and managing the back-end of Spoke and ThruTalk
- Create structures to recruit, train, and empower volunteer leaders to run our programs, including moderating our Slack channel, and facilitating texting and phonebanking shifts
- Build a welcoming, energizing, and emotionally intelligent culture in virtual spaces
- Maintain data and track results to make grounded evaluations and recommendations as needed
- Participate in organizational activities, including recruiting volunteers and soliciting donors from your existing social networks, participating in organizational fundraising, and taking on additional work wherever needed
Experiences & Skill Requirements:
- Experience with distributed organizing
- Experience with the back-end of digital tools like ThruTalk, Spoke, VAN, Mobilize, Slack
- Alignment with Nobody Leaves Mid-Hudson’s mission and values and a strong passion for organizing for social change
- Demonstrated ability to quickly connect, build trust and develop authentic relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds across different platforms (phone, email, video calls)
- Strong facilitation and public speaking skills
- Highly organized, ability to manage many moving parts and prioritize accordingly
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with attention to detail
- Skilled with spreadsheets and data management
- Ability to learn and manage new technology and applications quickly
- Goal-driven, detail-oriented, self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team with a problem solving orientation
- Willingness to tackle problems, generate smart and creative interventions, experiment, and learn from failures
- Ability to give and receive feedback and contribute to an anti-oppressive organizational culture
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- Experience with deep canvassing
- Bilingual in Spanish/English
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and three professional references with emails and phone numbers at https://airtable.com/shrGH7zLVEDUBD4Lq
People of color, gender oppressed people, working class people, LGBTQ people, and immigrants are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We sincerely regret that we will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.